As news breaks that Chip Kelly is the new head coach at UCLA, let’s take this Thanksgiving Weekend 2017 to give thanks to Chip Kelly for helping to make the Eagles what they are today. Here’s five reasons to be thankful for Chip Kelly’s dysfunctional time here.
1. Thanks Chip Kelly for being an obnoxious tool with a gimmick offense. After suffering with Post Traumatic Chip Disorder, the Eagles organization went old school. They brought Doug Pederson, who is the antithesis of Kelly and is perfect for this Eagles team in this moment. They went from the bottom of the league in Time of Possession under Chip to 3rd in the NFL under Dougy. The Eagles had a knee-jerk reaction away from Chip, did a total 360 from the likes of Kelly to Doug, and I’m thankful for it.
2. Thanks Chip for sending Howie Roseman to the supply closet. Howie 1.0 was unlikable. He was smug and talked down to fans. 1.0 came off as he knew it all. Howie 2.0 is the total opposite. He’s far more personable and down to earth in interviews. He humble, likeable, dare I say funny at times? 2.0 brought in Joe Douglas to help out with the talent evaluating. Howie’s aggressiveness with Douglas in the office has paid off unlike the signings of Vince Young and Asomugha.
3. Thanks Chip for bringing Kiko Alonso and Byron Maxwell to Philly. Yup, they both sucked, but Howie 2.0 was able to trade both of those bums to Miami to get the 8th pick in the draft and flip that for Carson Wentz. The same Wentz that’s one of the Vegas favorites to win the NFL MVP this year.
4. Thanks Chip for NOT trading for Marcus Mariota. Wentz > Mariota. And, the Eagles got to keep half their roster.
5. Thanks Chip for trading for Sam Bradford. By having Bradford on the roster, Howie 2.0 was able to trade him to the Vikings for a 1st and 4th round pick. Howie 2.0 grabbed Derek Barnett and Jay Ajayi with those picks. #winning
From all of us here in Philly….Congratulations on the UCLA gig Chip Kelly! We’re glad you’re there and not here, but the Eagles couldn’t be where they are if we all didn’t spend some time together.
Give Thanks to Chip Kelly!