Cyber Monday is here. The Holiday buying season is among us. We’re here to help you make the most sensible and cost-effect jersey purchases for yourself or a loved one. You don’t want the jersey being outdated by next year. Those things are expensive. And, you don’t want your loved one being laughed at while attending a game because he’s wearing a Dom Brown jersey. Most importantly, if you’re new to the world of jersey buying as gift, never personalize the jersey. That’s a Violation.
Here are the rankings for jersey purchase this Holiday Season. The safest pick is #1 and they get riskier the further down the list you go.
1. CARSON WENTZ – Was there any doubt? This guy is putting up stats that rival Aaron Rogers and Tom Brady. He’s the future of the Eagles and is going nowhere for the next decade. Sure, you’re joining masses as Wentz is among the most popular jerseys in the country, but that’s fine. You can’t go wrong here. This is a jersey that will last a decade, unless the wearer puts on a ton of poundage.
2. BEN SIMMONS – This guy is a generational player in the likes of Oscar Robertson. He’s a double-double machine, who can get to the basket at will. He’s got a soft touch around the basket and court vision on par with Magic. He’s 21! He’s clearly the Rookie of the Year this year. Wait until this guy develops his jumper. He’ll be unstoppable, if he isn’t already. He should be in town for a decade or more.
3. IVAN PROVOROV – The Flyers are a frustrating bunch to watch right now, but that won’t be for long. They have too much young talent in the pipeline. The best of the young talent is Ivan Provorov. He has the skills to be the best Flyers defenseman in recent memory. The Flyers are going to turn things around and Provorov will be a pivotal piece of that foundation. He’s good and he’s not going anywhere.
4. JOEL EMBIID – This guy is unstoppable. He’s a grown ass man among boys when he’s on the court. He looks massive, Godzilla-ish. If his health wasn’t a question, he would clearly be #2 and maybe push Wentz for #1. Embiid should be a dominant force in this town and the NBA for a decade, but there are health concerns. A normal player with his injury history would be further down the list, but he’s too good. The risk reward is worth it here.
5. FLETCHER COX – You may have a little hesitation here because you remember those rumors of Chip Kelly offering Fletcher Cox and every draft pick in eternity for Mariota. Don’t worry. The only way Cox may have been traded for is to obtain a franchise quarterback. The Eagles have their franchise quarterback. He’s also got a contract that carries a massive cap hit until after the 2020 season, even if the Eagles release him. Cox is here to stay.
6. RHYS HOSKINS – Rhys is not Dom Brown. He’s not one season fluke. His numbers did drop as the season went on, but they had to. Rhys was putting up super-human stats. He’s a basher who is patient with good plate discipline. He walks a ton. Power-hitters aren’t growing on oak trees down at FDR Park in South Philly. This guy is a centerpiece in the Phillies rebuild. He’s under Phillies control until 2024.
7. TIMMY JERNIGAN – A year ago, most Philly fans might be saying who? Jernigan has been a solid addition to a swarming Eagles defense. Actually, he’s been a best on the defensive line for the Eagles. He’s only 25 and recently signed a contract extension. Jernigan is also a substantial cap hit until after the 2020 season so chances that he’ll be released are slim. He’s an aggressive player that fits perfectly with the mentality of Philly sports fans.
8. NOLAN PATRICK – Nolan was the second player taken in last year’s NHL draft. He’s had a few injuries and hasn’t been a standout stud yet, but that will come. We’re not comfortable putting Giroux or Voracek on the list because we got a feeling one of them may not be here for the long haul. Nolan Patrick will be. He’s a talented two-way player who is only 19, can play physical, and is a true “table-setter.” A Patrick jersey is solid speculative investment. He may not pay huge dividends the rest of this year, but in a couple of years you’ll be glad you bought this one.
9. AARON NOLA – He’s not over-powering. He’s not larger than life, but he’s consistently sneaky good. He strikes people out averaging almost 10 strikeouts per 9 innings pitched. He pitches a ton of ground balls. He got a low walk rate. Nola only turns 25 next summer. The only thing he’s lacking is a blazing fastball, but his average fastball velocity is right there with the likes of Corey Kluber and Jake Arrieta. This guy is the current ace for the Phillies and isn’t going anywhere, unless it’s for Giancarlo Stanton. If that’s the case, you’re screwed and we apologize.
10. ROBERT COVINGTON – Roco. Big Shot Bob! You have to love Covington. He went undrafted from Tennessee State. Covington put his time in at the NBA Developmental League. He’s worked his ass off to become a legit NBA player with an elite 3pt shot and a defensive intensity that is rarely seen. He’s a true “lunch pail” guy that Philly fans rally behind. He also just signed a contract extension that keeps him in town through the 2021-22 season. Roco plays the game the right way and is a great jersey for a young player looking to model his game after a guy that worked his tail off to get where he is today.
This list isn’t foolproof. Injuries happen. Trades happen. We do think this is a practical ranking and will put you in the best position to maximize your jersey investment. Good luck and Happy Holidays!